It’s more than a pretty in pink …
Hand-mined in northern Pakistan near the base of the Himalayan Mountains, Himalayan pink salt is lauded for its reported health benefits and the 84 essential minerals it contains, including iron, magnesium, calcium and potassium. The 100 percent pure mineral salt owes its pink hue to the trace amounts of iron oxide (rust) it contains, but its real value in lies in its long list of benefits and uses for your health.
Himalayan pink salt has been reported to:
- Promote healthy blood sugar and better sleep
- Act as a detoxifier
- Promote healthy pH balances
- Help lower blood pressure
- Support a healthy respiratory system and sinuses
- Boost bone health
- Prevent muscle cramps
- Improve circulation
- Improve digestion
- Reduce acid reflux
For a simple switch, Himalayan pink salt can be used as an alternative to table salt or kosher salt, but there are plenty of other ways to get the most from its healing qualities.
Himalayan Pink Salt: Therapeutic Salt BathBaths are great for a clean body, but they’re not so great for the skin. However, bathing with Himalayan pink salt allows your body to absorb the minerals from the salt while releasing toxins into the bathwater. The saltwater is great for promoting overall body function and relieving aches and muscle pains (the electrolytes in the salt are particularly useful in this area). It’s also helpful for skin problems such as eczema and psoriasis.
- Dissolve at least two cups of Himalayan pink salt in warm bathwater.
- Soak in the tub for 15 to 20 minutes. The bathwater will appear a bit cloudy — that just means the salt is doing its job. The detoxing effect makes the water murkier than usual.
- Rest for 30 minutes after the bath.